Thursday, November 15

The truth of the matter...

"Hello, my name is Becca, and I am a workaholic." It isn't just the long hours or the number of days I work in a row; it really comes down to the fact that I just plain love my job! Now of course there are headaches and things I do not enjoy doing, but at the end of the day I am still just plain satisfied with what I do. Now onto the problem...I love it so much that I have a hard time balancing it with my actual life. I want to work late, so I can get even more done or sell even more. I find myself calling my man daily to say don't pick me up until later; I want to get more done. I skip a lot of my lunches because I would rather work then sit around taking an HOUR long lunch break. An hour! Holy cow, that is so much time! I have started going in earlier, because I can get even more done. I realized that just Wednesday I worked 10 hours without even thinking about it. It wasn't until later that evening that I realized I had actually worked a 10 hour day. In the past 8 hours seemed long to me! With 10 hours as my norm, during special events I work all day. Why leave when I can just stay until we close? Think how much I could do! So I just stay and end up working a 12, 13, 14, even 15 hour day. But even better, why just work long hours? Why not just stop taking days off? How many days in a row can I work? I have decided that it is actually easier to keep working then to take a day off. Then you don't have to worry about catching up! Thank goodness there are some controls on how many hours/days I can work. And I do feel a pull to be with my family. However I still have a drive to succeed and put everything into my job. I think this is actually quite normal, but difficult for me to confront because I don't really want my job to be everything.

1 comment:

amy jo said...

I am so glad to hear that someone feels the same about their job as I do! I hate to take breaks, I hate when we have to quit - I could rehearse all night!! I have had to start putting restrictions on myself...like..I will not work for companies that rehearse during the day (unless they pay for a nannie:)). or..I will not work out of town:( I just feel glad to have a job I feel passionate about - so should you!