Wednesday, February 3

HGTV/Accents

I think it is almost a requirement that when you are planning a move/renovation you start watching HGTV obsessively. At least that's how it has been for me. With all my watching I've noticed something--a ton of the shows are filmed in Canada. Everyone seems to have a Canadian accent. Not a big deal, but for me this is a problem. See I have this weird habit to pick up accents I hear frequently. I'm sure a lot of people are affected by what they hear, but I'm extremely susceptible. And honestly it is so embarrassing. Believe me this is not an impressive trait to have. So now I'm driving Bill crazy because I cannot say "house" as an American anymore. I mean it's HGTV--how often do you think they say house?! He told me he can handle it, but he's drawing the line at pasta. If I ever say "pass-ta" he'll go crazy.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

I think Madonna must suffer from the same problem! So does my husband. He ordered some fried rice at the chinese place in a chinese accent, and didn't even know it. So funny.

Jen said...

Man...I've always wished I could do accents. I think you're lucky!

Sarah said...

Wait, so what does "house" in Canadian English sound like, anyway?

Daniel and Leslie said...

I have that same problem with accents. I've been listening to a lot of audio books. I've picked up a few that are kind of strange. 'Gap Creek' is the book for march and it has a strange accent to it. Good luck :D